- 1 (5 to 6 pound) roasting chicken
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large bunch fresh thyme, plus 20 sprigs
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, melted
- 1 large yellow onion, thickly sliced
- 4 carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 bulb of fennel, tops removed and cut into wedges
- Olive oil
- Directions: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh. Remove the chicken and vegetables to a platter and cover with aluminum foil for about 20 minutes. Slice the chicken onto a platter and serve it with the vegetables.
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 2/3 cup small-diced red onion (1 small onion)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons good red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or chicken stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 (5-pound) roasting chickens
- 2 large yellow onions, unpeeled and quartered
- 6 carrots, unpeeled and halved
- 4 stalks celery with leaves, cut into thirds
- 4 parsnips, unpeeled and cut in half, optional
20 sprigs fresh parsley
- 15 sprigs fresh thyme
- 20 springs fresh dill
- 1 head garlic, unpeeled and cut in 1/2 crosswise
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 3 whole (6 split) chicken breasts, bone-in , skin on
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups good mayonnaise (recommended: Hellman's)
- 1/3 cup dry white wine or chicken stock
- 1/4 cup chutney (recommended: Mayor Grey's)
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 cup medium-diced celery (2 large stalks)
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts (2 scallions)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 cup whole roasted salted cashews
Directions: preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the chicken breasts on a sheet pan and rub the skin with olive oil. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is just cooked. Set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove the meat from the bones, discard the skin, and dice the chicken into large bite-size pieces.
For the dressing, combine the mayonnaise, wine or chicken stock, chutney, curry powder and
1 1/2 teaspoons salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Process until smooth.
Combine the chicken with enough dressing to moisten well. Add the celery, scallions, and raisins and mix well. Refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to blend. Add the cashews and serve at room temperature.
Chicken Salad Rolls
- 1 cup shredded, cooked chicken
- 1/3 cup "something crunchy" (celery, apple, radish, sweet pickle slices or a combo)
- "Something oniony" (like 1 scallion or 1/4 small red onion, chopped)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or plain yogurt
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 whole-wheat hot dog buns or other bread
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups butter, cubed
- 10 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
4 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm mild (110 to 115 degrees)
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 9 to 9 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- melted butter
- dry bread crumbs
Directions: In a Dutch oven, saute celery and onion in butter until vegetables are tender. Add the chicken, mushrooms, cream cheese, salt and pepper. Cool for 5 minutes; cover and refrigerate.
In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add eggs, sugar, salt and 1 cup flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough. Roll out on a floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness; cut into 4 inch circles. Re-roll scraps and cut more circles. Roll circles to 6 1/2" diameter. Place on greased baking sheets and let rise in warm place for 15 minutes.
Place about 1/3 cup chicken mixture in the center of each circle. Fold up edges to center; pinch tightly to seal. Dip in butter; roll in crumbs. Place uncovered on greased baking sheets; let rise for 20 minutes. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Serve immediately. Yield: about 3 dozen.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 cups of diced cooked chicken
- 1 pint sour cream
- 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken and mushroom soup
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package uncooked egg noodles
- 4 ounces buttery round crackers, crushed
Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees F. In medium skillet, fry onion in butter until softened. Pour into 9 x 13 baking dish.
In large bowl, combine chicken, sour cream and soup. Stir in 2 cups of shredded cheddar. Stir in uncooked egg noodles. Pour mixture over onions in baking dish. Top with crumbled crackers and remaining cheddar. Bake 30 minutes, or until top is golden and noodles are soft.
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups fresh snow peas
- 1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts
- Hot cooked rice
Directions: In a non-stick skillet, saute' the mushrooms, celery and onion in oil until tender. Combine the cornstarch, broth and soy sauce until smooth; stir into vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 (16 ounce) package bow tie pasta
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup light soy sauce
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups shredded, cooked chicken
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
Directions: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add sesame seeds, and cook stirring frequently until lightly toasted. Remove from heat, and set aside.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente. Drain pasta, and rinse under cold water until cool. Transfer to a large bowl.
In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine vegetable oil, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, sesame seeds, ginger, and pepper. Shake well. Pour sesame dressing over pasta and toss to coat evenly. Gently mix in chicken, cilantro and green onions.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 5 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons ice water
Stop the machine, dump the crumbly dough into a bowl, and gather the dough into a ball with your hand, you can squeeze it a bit to make it stick together. If it just won't form a ball, add a tiny bit more water. (Note that if you are making crust in the food processor, you will use less water than most recipes call for.) Wrap your dough ball in wax paper or plastic wrap and chill it about 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Roll it out on a cool surface if you can. Then follow your pie recipe for baking.
- 1 (4 pound) whole chicken
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 carrot
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice or pasta
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (7 ounce) can chopped green chili peppers
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce
To make meat mixture: Heat oil in medium skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken, onion and green chile peppers and saute' until browned, then add taco seasoning and prepare meat mixture according to package directions.
To make cheese mixture: In a medium bowl mix sour cream with cottage cheese and season with salt and pepper; stir until well blended.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. To assemble enchiladas: Heat tortillsa until soft. In each tortilla place a spoonful of meat mixture, a spoonful of cheese mixture and a bit of shredded cheese. Roll tortills and place in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Top with any remaining meat and cheese mixture, enchilada sauce and remaining shredded cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese in melted and bubbly.
Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 cups chicken cooked and cubed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
In the saucepan over mediujm heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
Place the chicken mixure in bottom of pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in tthe top to allow steam to escape. Bake in preheated overn for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted