Women's Conference Class/Panel Discussion
& Debbie McDowell
Suggestions for Successful Step-parenting
1. - Be prayerful. Heavenly Father knows you are doing the best you can. He wants your family to succeed and be happy.
2. - Keep an eternal perspective.
- As a step-parent, you need a mature, Christ-like attitude.
- May have to take "the backseat."
3.- Love the step-kids, because you love your spouse and they are a part of him/her.
- Base your actions, re-actions, & decisions on "What is best for the kids?"
- “The door is always open” policy- They are free to call you or live with you
4. -Have a united front
- Everyone treated equitably
- Support your spouse (parent of step-kids) even if you don’t agree.
5. - Establish family rules-- the fewer the better.
6- Talk about the “former spouse” with respect in front of the kids.
- Display cordial interactions with former spouse (if possible).